Dr. Neagoy combines her love for the arts and the sciences in the creation of innovative mathematics videos for teachers and students—about 60 in all, including Discovering Algebra with Graphing Calculators for Discovery Education, Mathematics: What’s the Big Idea? For the Annenberg Channel (now available on Annenberg Learner).
DISCOVERY EDUCATION: Ten 30-minute Videos on Discovering Algebra (Grades 7-10)
Discovering Algebra with Graphing Calculators
- Examining Probability and Random Number Generation
- Representing and Analyzing Data
- Graphing a Line
- Finding the Slope of a Line
- Exploring Quadratics
- Solving Systems of Equations
- Investigating Inequalities
- Understanding Exponential Functions
- Investigating Logarithmic Functions
- Plotting the Curve of Best Fit
ANNENBERG MEDIA: Eight 90-minute videos on the Big Ideas of Mathematics (Grades K-8)
Mathematics: What’s the Big Idea?
- Workshop 1: Patterns and Functions: What Comes Next? (90 min.) Mathematics is about patterns waiting to be found. This workshop demonstrates how students’ explorations of patterns can grow richer and more complex as they move through the grades.
- Workshop 2: Data: Posing Questions and Finding Answers (90 min.) From the earliest grades, students learn to connect situations, data, and graphs. This workshops shows data displays that can be developed through the grades.
- Workshop 3: Geometry: Castles and Shadows (90 min.) Shadows give two-dimensional representation to three-dimensional objects. Teachers discuss the intriguing relationship between two- and three-dimensional objects that are at the heart of geometry.
- Workshop 4: More Geometry: Quilts and Palaces (90 min.) Geometry appears in works of art, architectural wonders, and physical structures. This workshop explores geometrical figures, transformation, and connections to art and science.
- Workshop 5: Whole Numbers: Memory and Discovery (90 min.) What does it take to develop fluency with whole number calculations? This workshop compares algorithms and explores mental math strategies.
- Workshop 6: Ratio and Proportion: When Is a Third More Than a Half? (90 min.) Helps identify students’ misconceptions about fractions that hinder their understanding of later concepts. Program participants work with rational numbers and activities delaing with ratio, proportions, and equivalent fractions.
- Workshop 7: Algebra: It Begins in Kindergarten (90 min.) This workshop traces the fundamental concepts of algebra that students can develop through the grades.
- Workshop 8: The Future of Mathematics: Ferns and Galaxies (90 min.) The advent of new technologies allows for amazing mathematics that could not exist without computers. This program looks to future directions for mathematics in the 21st Century.